6 months - 3 years old
Get your little one comfortable and confident in the water with our early years classes.
Adults join their youngsters in the water for these hands-on classes featuring fun, games and nursery rhymes.
Children will be taught to suit their development stages along the way and learn:
- How to safely enter and exit the water
- Breathing skills including getting your face wet, blowing bubbles and ducking underwater
- Essential survival skills including floating on your front and back
- Water safety messages including ‘always swim with an adult’
- Basic swimming movements including kicking and paddling
3-5 years old
Help your pre-schooler develop their skills and confidence in the water. Our classes feature games and activities to provide a fun atmosphere while teaching essential water safety survival skills and basic swimming techniques.
Classes will cover:
- Entry and exit skills teach children to safely and confidently enter and exit the water using a range of basic techniques
- Breathing and underwater skills
- Survival skills including using flotation aids for support in deep water
- Floating and sculling skills to encourage independent floating on the front and back and basic sculling skills to propel the body in a range of directions
- Development of kicking and arm movement skills, basic independent mobility and working towards elementary swimming strokes
- Water safety education with simple messages of never swimming alone, calling for help if in trouble and understanding basic pool rules to support water safety
5-13 years old
Secure and develop your child’s swimming skills during their school years and they will be set for life.
Our school years classes are specially designed to grow and adapt with your child to keep them improving and growing in confidence.
- Entry and exit skills to teach children the safest entry and exit method for a range of aquatic environments
- Floating and sculling skills to gain mobility in the aquatic environment, vital skills for developing swimming and survival skills
- Movement and swimming strokes to develop efficient and effective stroke technique and the ability to adapt strokes to suit conditions. Fitness and endurance increases through the progression of levels
- Survival and life jacket skills offer techniques and strategies for a range of emergency situations, including the use of personal flotation devices
- Underwater skills to build vital confidence in the water. Relaxation and good breath control are developed to increase swimming endurance
- Rescue skills to equip children with the required skills to perform a range of rescues depending on the emergency situation, the environment and prevailing conditions
- Water safety knowledge to develop an understanding of a range of swimming and water safety issues that underpins safety in and around the water
Adult Swim Training
It’s never too late to learn to swim or make improvements to your swimming strokes.
We offer a range of adult classes from beginners through to more experienced swimmers including:
Ideal for people with little or no experience in the water who want to improve confidence levels in and around the water. These classes will provide an understanding of the basic skills required for water awareness, aquatic safety and swimming skills.
Designed for people with basic swimming and water safety proficiency who want to extend these skills. The classes provide tuition in stroke development, timing and breathing and include water safety skills such as treading water and further developing survival strokes.
Adult Stroke Correction
For the more experienced swimmer looking for specifric stroke correction to improve technique and training programs
Our squad programs offer swimmers the opportunity to train with a team of committed, experienced coaches and staff. Multilevel squad programs allow further progression to cater for swimmers of all ages who wish to increase fitness, endurance and improve overall technique.
Squad training is conducted in-house at Don Tatnell Leisure Centres and through the Cheltenham Amateur Swimming Club at Waves Leisure Centre.
For further information on external squad training please visit CASC home page: www.cheltenhamswimclub.org.au